Re: www.loocat.com - photographers heaven

kostas papakotas <kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com> wrote/replied to:

>so...interesting service... but i got to know more about it....in the
>homepage there is no guide, or terms paper, etc... so before converting from
>my communities.msn album i got to know more...

That's right, no free lunch last I heard.

Either they harvest images, email addresses, or swamp you with ads. Or
maybe all three. I wanna know which it is too. No, never mind I don't
wanna know. I ain't a gonna go there.

I get soooo many of these webpages starting up, emailing me, wanting
me to join, send up photos for sale, or whatever, usually they never
actually get the webpage fully active. I can't keep track of them all.
Most are offering to provide a place for me to sell my work, with only
a small commission to them. I wonder what happens to all those images
after they fold up and are never seen again.

Surprisingly, many of these places mention they saw my work on the PF
gallery. I suppose they think that makes them sound legit. And of
course perhaps some of them actually are legit. But that doesn't mean
I'm going to waste my time there and never sell an image.

It's a funny thing, photographers all like exposure to clients,
possible sales, etc. But in the end we each have to do our own
presentations and selling. I had one guy email me with what sounded
like a legit request for corporate calendars here in Japan. He wanted
photos of baby animals, or whatever else I had related. Wanted me to
submit 20 images to him. The strange thing was he wanted print res 8
by 10 sized images. Ya, sure, ready to print size, just so he could
see if they were worthy. I emailed him back and he was surprised I
mentioned there were so many scam artists trying to get me to submit
images. Oh ya, sure. I told him my stuff was right on my webpage, if
he was interested just let me know and we could discuss terms. Never
heard back from him.

I wonder what happens to all these images they scam, perhaps they
actually get used  in places where they figure we'll never see them,
or they have some lawyer's clause where they can actually legally use
them, or they don't even care about getting sued since they'll be long
gone when you find out and get mad. Or maybe they just figure you
won't sue because of the great cost or the hassles of a backlogged
court, etc.

I'm currently reducing the size of all the images on my webpage. I
don't want to give anyone any image that will print decently to
postcard size. 500 pixels on the long side is my new sizing.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/
Reply in plain text only please!