Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

Emily,

Not suggesting it isn't done, suggesting it's not common practice. You get
four minutes, are you going to waste time setting up lights reflectors,
slaves, cables and connectors or are you going to shoot some film or digital
pics? That's why at the news conferences all over the world more flashes pop
than other form of lighting.

And I shot basketball for a season next to the regional paper shooter
who showed with two light stands that extended to 25 feet and two
radio fired strobes with power packs.  He did that for night football
too.   He tied the light stands off to the bleachers and tripped them
with his on camera flash which was aimed into the sky or at an angle.<<<<

And, from what I can tell, you didn't.

He shot a New Year's First Night parade with the same rig and an
assistant.  Tied the stands to trees and used rear curtain flash to
catch the 10-person dragon in motion.<<<<

And, many photogrphers who didn't. Maybe not at that game or parade, but
hundreds of others. Add to that dragon, the fact the a parade covers several
miles, and in my case of covering such events, having to walk all those
miles more than once and for up to a dozen hours. Are you going to carry all
of those lights or have an entourage (sp?) follow your every move, just in
case you need those lights for a dragon?

What did that photographer miss while concentrating on that one shot?

Jody Cobb carries almost 800 lbs of gear into the field, Sam Abell does not.

There are times, when we get the chance to go the next step, do a little
more and are granted more time to achieve a higher level of creativity, and
there are times when we are enabled, to simply get the shot. It's not
unheard of to set up a shot journalistically, to place strobes on light
stands, run a bunch of cables or slave numeous stobes velcroed to the CEO's
curtains or the Seahawk coach's window shades when time premits. It's also
not unheard of to slap on the flash gun, put a diffuser on and get what you
get. Havn't you seen the numerous 3x5in cards rubber banded to the flash
head? Or the hastly taped toilet tissue on the front of the pop up flash
unit?

A good photojournalist IMHO knows both techniques, and develops the instinct
to know the right time to use them.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones were shooting film"