Re: magazine publishing rights help

I appreciate all of this, but keep in mind that I am not a commercial
photographer, but more of a photojournalist. I am not going in with lights,
assistants, etc. I don't think photojournalists really make that kind of money, but I
know commercial type photographers do. As I had previously stated, I have no
desire to do any "commercial" type work even thought it pays well. In fact, I
know many a freelance photojournalist that actually pay their expenses and hope
someone buys their photos afterwards. Another thing to keep in mind is that
they are thinking of paying my way and all expenses to Egypt and I get $200/day
for one-time rights. I wouldn't mind a free trip to build upon my portfolio.
Finally, I really appreciate all of the advice, but do keep in mind that I am
not a beginner. I am just trying to break into photojournalism. I have been
selling my prints through a corporate art consultant for $600 a piece. Since I am
fairly new to photojournalism, I just needed to check on pricing assignments
and rights. I am doing an apprenticeship so-to-speak with a photographer from
the Dallas Morning News, but he is staff, and I am just doing it to learn from
him all that I can. Anyway, just some things I needed to say about where I
was coming from. Commercial work is definitely the way to go for the money, but
my passion lies in photojournalism and if I have to photograph an event of
this type, I want to do it in a photojournalistic way. That's it!! Thanks for
everything. This has been a very interesting discussion, and I am glad I joined
this forum with what seems to be a number of accomplished photographers with
good advice.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott