Re: magazine publishing rights help

Hi Leslie,

What our colleagues are trying to say is, the prices you charge are way too
low. What equipment you have, bring or do not bring have no bearing on the
subject.

You queried us because you knew that we would provide you an answer. It is
your call to follow it or not. Sure a trip to Egypt would be cool there are
many who would do it just for that alone. But you will not be there on
vacation. Accepting low fees hurts all of us when we are the next
photographer behind you to talk with the editor.

Commercial photographers would charge more, as would many editorial
photographers. This is not PJ work.  I don't think you are there to report
the news.

Magazine articles are written and photographed well in advance of usage.
News happens now and stales quickly.

In the future get your CODB plus at least 30%. You have already made this
deal - if you get the gig-. Emily ( her advice was spot on as usual ) and
other seasoned pros on this list would love to help you in the biz aspects,
so will I. But you need to ask in advance, and then be ready to heed the
advice as much as possible.

It's not really about the romance of travel and taking pictures. It's more
about being able to have some sort of retirement when you grow older.
Everyone here loves the creation aspect of photography. Nobody relishes the
biz side. But you cannot be successful without both.

Good luck,

Les (another leslie) Baldwin