Re: Minimizing pinhole image falloff

Greg asked
> > So, does the light falloff of a pinhole camera image follow an
inverse square
> > rule? Will it always be an issue no matter how big your shoebox,
cigar tube
> > or Quaker Oats box is?

Andy answered:
> I believe the answer is YES.

And  Guy continues:
In fact, the rule of thumb is that the maximum useful image circle is
3.5 times the focal length - that is 3.5 times pinhole-to-film distance.
Because of the various factors mentionned by Andy.

Of course, the light fall-off is only a problem with wide-angle, and it
gets less (more) and less (more) a problem as the angle of view is
narrowed (increased).  If you create an image with a normal or telephoto
angle of view, the light fall-off will be minimal.  But then, the
increase in focal length with reduce you effective aperture and increase
exposure time overall.  This could quickly become unmanageable,
especially when you factor in reciprocity failure problems...

In the case of the hotel-room-turned-into-pinhole-camera picture, I
wanted to have a wide perspective and experienced a lot of light
fall-off on the edges (actually this also can also be stated as
experiencing a lot of over-exposure in the center).

With trial and error method, I discovered that the best way to handle
this is to do in-camera dodging at the center of the image by one or two
stops.  This is fairly easy to do and we did it with good results (but
not enough vigour) in the second set of giant pinhole pictures I
produced a couple of months ago.
http://pages.infinit.net/memfloue/wilder.htm

This is something which Vera Lutter in New York does regularly with her
own giant pinhole work.  In fact, she seems to  have developped a
tremendous control over this procedure, by the looks of the paper
negatives she shows on the walls of galeries or in her book.

Now what do you do if you're into small-scale pinhole _  ...-:)) ...!!_
and can't get into the camera to dodge the center of the image.  I
personally have started to use a dodging tool in front of the pinhole,
remembering that the pinhole has this infinite depth-of-field capacity
and that it will pick the dodging tool in focus if you don't move it
enough.

With very wide angle-of-view pinhole imaging, your dodging tool needs to
be very large and close to the pinhole to do the trick.  You  need to
experiment a bit with the procedure, of course, but the results can be
amazingly good!

Andy's refers to graduated center-filters.  They will do the trick with
lens but not so much with pinhole. If the filter is placed in front of
the pinhole, the later will pick every details of it because of the
infinite DoF.  You can try to place it behind the pinhole inside the
camera, but this will create problems of light reflections all over the
film...

I guess what I actually like most with pinhole is the image distortions
arising from the characteristics of the instrument.  But, there are
times when it just won't work and you have to search how to make some
corrections.    Fun...

Enjoy pinholin', Greg!

Best,

Guy