Re: Minimizing pinhole image falloff

> So, does the light falloff of a pinhole camera image follow an inverse square
> rule? Will it always be an issue no matter how big your shoebox, cigar tube
> or Quaker Oats box is?

Greg,

I believe the answer is YES. You can reduce the appearance of fall off by
delaing with narrow angle photographs where the image distance to the center of
the film is not much less than to the edges. You can also place the film in a
curve thus keeping the distance from the pinhole to the film more uniform than
if the film is on a flat plane. Of course this introduces what is called
"panoramic distortion".

The curved film "plane" actually is not a perfect solution because the
circular pinhole when looked at from an angle no longer looks like a circular
hole but as an oval hole and the apparent area of it from off-axis positions is
not the same as on axis. So you lose light there too.

One remedy is to make a graduated filter to place in front of the pinhole -
this is done with certain real wide angle lens-equipped cameras as well. Like
the 6x17 format ones. I believe there were also 35mm camera lenses that had
this problem - some solved it with graduated filters but I always thought the
more ingenious solution was the whirling propeller in front of lens idea!

andy