Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

Scot Coveyou <kamandscot@comcast.net> wrote/replied to:

>I've been all over the map emotionally since. I'm angry that anyone with a professional looking camera that doesn't wear a press badge is assumed to be violating the rights of people in public places. I also find myself sharing her concern with the safety and well being of children, I have a son who is nine that I don't let out of my sight, for probably the same fears that this woman was feeling.
>I don't want to scare people when I'm taking candids, but I also don't want to spoil great creative moments by stopping to ask for permission.
>The human aspect of photography is the most fascinating aspect to me. Everywhere I go I see photos...great photos in the faces of the people I see. I actually thought about just quitting if I couldn't find a way to photograph people in their environment, unposed and naturally.
>Has anyone else felt this way or dealt with this issue?

Ya, I take pictures of birds. Never had one aggressive or complain
yet. Seriously, I just don't want photos of strangers, don't want to
take them, don't want any hassles with people.

Why don't you take photos of people you know, or try talking to
people, then ask them if they'd mind if you take photos of them or
their kids. You might be surprised that they are completely different
after a few minutes of polite chat.

And you won't feel like you're stealing anything either. People can be
real nice if you approach them nicely. But there's an awful lot of
fear and anger out there.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/