From: "Scot Coveyou" <kamandscot@comcast.net>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

> This subject hits close to home for me.
>
> When I moved to Sacramento five years ago I read the horrifying story
of a Sacramento Bee photog who, when taking photos of some children in a
park, was beaten literally senseless by relatives of the children. He
can no longer work and had to relearn to walk and talk.
> The story scared the hell out of me. I have for five years avoided
photographing people on the street, with few exceptions, since.
> Last Sunday I went to a farmers market and was testing the water with
regards to my photographing people, a snap here or there with a smile
and nod from the subjects without any objection until a woman approached
me. She asked who I was and why I was taking photos. I explained that I
did this as a hobby. She was aggressive and self-righteous asking if I
had asked the permission of the people that I had just photographed. I
explained that I did not need to ask permission, and if they were to
object in any way I would stop.
> I turned and left, infuriated. The woman went to the people that I had
photographed, to tattle on me I assume.

> I've been all over the map emotionally since. I'm angry that anyone
with a professional looking camera that doesn't wear a press badge is
assumed to be violating the rights of people in public places. I also
find myself sharing her concern with the safety and well being of
children, I have a son who is nine that I don't let out of my sight, for
probably the same fears that this woman was feeling.
> I don't want to scare people when I'm taking candids, but I also don't
want to spoil great creative moments by stopping to ask for permission.
> The human aspect of photography is the most fascinating aspect to me.
Everywhere I go I see photos...great photos in the faces of the people I
see. I actually thought about just quitting if I couldn't find a way to
photograph people in their environment, unposed and naturally.
> Has anyone else felt this way or dealt with this issue?
>
> Scot

situation. For art or editorial purposes, no release is needed to
photograph a person in a public place (or a private place if you have
been invited there) and to use the picture for artistic or editorial
purposes.

>   ---
>   Bob Schwartz

Photography</A>