Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

At 07:37 PM 8/17/2003 +0900, Jim Davis wrote:
Why don't you take photos of people you know, or try talking to
people, then ask them if they'd mind if you take photos of them or
their kids. You might be surprised that they are completely different
after a few minutes of polite chat.

Would you have given this advice to Robert Frank and Garry Winogrand? William Klein and Henri Cartier-Bresson? Alvarez Bravo and Moriyama Daido?

The history of photography would be completely different if this was the advice they received and followed. Millions of images would never be shot or viewed, and we would be left with a hole when it comes to photos that show how we live when we aren't posing. Some things just aren't in those posed (or even "permissioned") photos.

I carry a book of prints with me at all times. If I'm questioned, I show it and it almost always works. However, I also look for situations where people are engaged in other activities and less interested in me. It also usually means they are more interesting than just a face on the street.

I also have an Associated Press tag on my bag, but that's another story...

Jeff Spirer Photos: http://www.spirer.com