Gallery Impressions

As I sit humbly awaiting Windows 2000 to boot up on my laptop, I decided to send my impressions of this weeks images as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

jIMMY Harris (Cowgirl) - Well the grainy skin doesn't seem to fit the beautiful face but who am I to judge? I really like the way the swooping curves of the hat wrap around her head. The dark patch of horse behind her is kind of dull but the grass is quite perky. Sort of a mixture of emotions for me. The grainless thumbnail is more pleasant but perhaps you weren't going for pleasant eh? Aha, clever.

Gary M. Thomas (Painting the new bridge at Swansea Marina)- My first impression was that this was a shot of a space shuttle operation although I doubt there are a lot of vapor trails and clouds in space. I like the composition of the wide structural arc, the curved wires and the curved strips of cloud.

Jim Davis (the Elusive Kingfisher) - Of course we all got a look at this a couple of weeks ago but its still just as good. I know you wanted to make sure the post was not cropped. I cannot tell by looking at it why you want so much post. It's a beautiful shot of the little nipper though and the background color works great with his plumage.

Shyrell Melara (Sunshine Skyway) - Very interesting the way the horizon tilts as if the giant bridge has weighed down the area so much that everything is sliding off into the water. As I follow the line of the bridge form the left edge of the frame, I reach the try and move up to the gull and what appears to be spots on the print that form an arc and lead my eye back again to the left. I expect at any minute to see the entire bridge slide off to the left and the horizon to spring back level. Cool.

Emily L. Ferguson (Cleopatra's Ride at the peak) - Can you correct incandescent to daylight by adding yellow and red? I thought incandescent rendered yellow on daylight film anyway? Everything on my monitor (and I don't mean the post-it-notes) looks yellow. I do like the black background. It adds an element of impending doom to the scene. This reminds me of that show 'The Wild, Wild West' when Jim got stuck in the maniacal fun house.

Srdan Brkic (The eye) - In keeping with the evil theme, we have the somewhat swollen, satanic eye. Beautifully eerie and mesmerizing. I love this shot. That eye is looking too closely and I have to look away. Wow.

Marilyn Dalrymple (Crash Landing on a Cloud) - Ah Marilyn, the cutest of your shots. You've absolutely ruined the evil theme though. Or have you? A fallen angel eh? Perhaps there's some symbolism in there.

Tim Mulholland (Jewels of Lost Lake) - Well the glare is really, really glary and distracting although it does look natural. The fish though, look like they are floating on top of the water but shouldn't they be in the water and not on top of it? Is this a digital collage? The top most fish looks like he's been pasted into the image for sure.

Well that's it. Thanks.
Greg