From: <sgshiya@redshift.com>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 10:59 PM
Subject: > Selling, Self Confidence & Editions

> My experience as a gallery directior showed me the little truths about
making pictures and selling them.

> Without a doubt, technique is expected.  Consistency is demonstrated by
repition so editions go as follows: The first print is perfect, the second
repeats that perfection and gives you confidence that you can do it.  The
third is an exercise in that confidence with one you can sell, the forth is
the one you can sell if you sell the other one; and the fifth is the last
one you can sell, again.  The first one that you keep for your records - for
youself - is the hardest to sell, bcause it's one of your 'babies' and you
worked so hard to make that print.  That's the one that's expensive when the
others sell.  The second one is that picture you gave to a special friend or
family member because you were so proud to have made such a perfect print.

> So, you go into a gallery or for a job and you have a portfolio of
editions, not a bunch of pretty pictures.  To step out of the door on this
path, you musrt have at least a hundred of these little five print editions.

> Oh, yeah.  Finally and firstly:  It's the content not the technique that
is the picture.

> S. Shapiro
> photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu wrote on Wed Aug  6 22:38:27 2003:
>
> Leslie Scott Photography and Tours is presenting a special workshop on
Jan.
HREF="http://www.amivitale.com";>Ami
> Vitale</a>, 2003 Best of Photojournalism "Magazine Photographer of the
Year" by
> the National Press Photographers Association. This will be a true learning
> experience. Ami will spend a half or full day (to be determined by the
group) with
> each person on a one-on-one basis. The others that are shooting on their
own
> will be accompanied by myself, if they choose, or will have time to roam
> around and shoot on their own. That night Ami will discuss with them what
they
> shot. This will take place part of the time at Jaisalmer. Ami will
accompany
> everyone as a group the rest of the time. In addition, we will spend time
with Ami
> as she shows us how she transmits her images and works as a freelance
agency
> photographer on a day-to-day basis (she is one of Getty Images top
> photojournalists).  Ami will also talk about how to sell your work on a
daily basis to
> different outlets. Ami is also the recipient of some of the most
prestigious
> grants in the industry. If anyone is interested in more information, they
can
> contact me via my website at <A
> HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott
Photography and Tours</a> or by email at