Re: Good Inkjet photo printers

Brian stunk about the following:

> Hi everyone, I'm starting to stink about buying a inkjet photo printer...
> I've looked at the Canon S9000 and the Epson 2200. Can anyone tell me what
> they use, why they like it and what they would rather be using?
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Canon inks - no waste, Epson inks in chipped carts (which I might add are
considered exhausted at an arbitrary point by the printer) :-/  The Canon
also seems to have less problems with clogging and uses less ink to clean
the heads when it does need such intervention.

Canon Inks and Epson Inks fade similarly in my own tests, with soaking in
water, being exposed to high heat, high IR and high UV both faded somewhat,
but no one I put the images in front of could say which preserved colours
better or which was the canon/Epson.  As soon as Wilhelm updates his highly
esteemed site (will it ever happen?) I think we'll see the Canon inks being
recognised as equal to the Epsons..

Under a loupe the Canon dots are found to be arranged more regularly and
with a higher edge sharpness than the epson which gives sharper print images
in the long run - though common sense says regular sized dots  _should_
make the image look a bit more mechanical than a slightly irregular pattern,
this isn't the case.

We have a lowly Canon S820 and a pair of wide format banner Epson 7600's at
our college.  To compare the two is excessive but it's interesting to note
that the Canon has more devoted followers and has cost us FAR less in ink ..
and the question most often asked is why we didn't put a canon on every
'puter instead of buying the second Epson.  (a point of contention)

BTW, although I like the look of the Canon gloss paper, it has a very soft
surface so I tend to stick to the sturdier Epson papers, mainly the archival
matt paper.