Review of gallery images

Images posted at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Pablo Coronel (350 Supercharged) - I'm a longtime fan of the ellipse and an even bigger fan of reflections but the thing I am most interested here is you choice of camera angle. The filter cover is not centered in the frame and it looks like the axis of the ellipse are at an angle also. Was this deliberate? Speaking of Vettes - I was at a small cafe yesterday and it started to rain. There was a T-top Vette in the lot with the roof open. The waitress asked all the other patrons but me if they owned the car. Like I couldn't possibly afford a Corvette! I can't afford one but that's not the point.

Bill Ellis (Late Night Snack)- I'm no fan of street photography and I think that's because I'm no fan of streets. However, I like the way the outline of the vehicles form a sort of seashore wave in front of the people and I really like the way the vendors are partially obscured by the opaque glass. Kind of cool.

Dan Mitchell (Cley Mill) - I like the scenery and I'm a fan of windmills but the composition seems to have all the interest right up the middle of the image and I would prefer some of it more to the right. Perhaps chop the left side just to the left of the dock and extend the image an equal amount to the right. Of course there might just be an Express Grill Polish sausage shack right there in which case I would leave the image as it is.

Rich Mason (Eat) - Well how could I not like this distortion of reality. Groovy colors, wavy lines and an arrow pointing the way somewhere. Reminds me of 'Naked Lunch' for some reason.

D.L. Shipman (Callipygian Jones) - There is a strange smoothness (blurring) to this image. For some reason the splash looks like a film that's running backwards. I can't really tell why I get that sensation but there you go.

Jeff Spirer (Dots) - I really like your printing or scanning or both. You get such rich shades in your images. Classic repetition of shapes and lines and a lovely balance of space. A beautiful shot the likes of which I wish I knew how to produce.

Fred van Sand (Beachtree) - I just love the captured energy in this image. That tree's having the time of it's life leaning in to the wind, it's branches flowing in the wind as the spray flies up from the rocks. I can almost hear the laughter. In the Navy I used to go topside during storms and lean over a certain railing in much the same pose.

Pini Vollach (Couple) - The pastel colors denote peace and these types of conduits are generally rather stable but the diagonal lines indicate tension and sure enough one of the clamps on the left conduit has come unfastened. Sure, it looks as if it came undone before the wall was painted but that's all I can find to support the diagonal theme. I like the inclusion of the blue patch bottom right. It adds a needed anchor and a starting point for viewing the image.

Bruce Weitzman (Speak-Hear-See, self-portrait) - Interesting technique. Did you mount just the sensor which remains stationary during scans or did you mount the sensor and the movement hardware so the scanner travels during the scan?

Stephen Ylvisaker (Do I trust my eyes or my brain?) - Personally I don't trust either. I just go for it and I'm rarely surprised but often amused by the outcome. I sort of like the muted colors and the contrast between the velvety smooth road and the coarse rock. It's too bad that you can see a bit of the road curving at the end. Clone some bushes to cover that up.

My thanks to the nameless gallery staff for their continued service.

Greg Fraser
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery