RE: Cropping

Actually using the "Cropping" tool causes the image to be re-interpolated and can result in loss of some detail, plug-ins like Genuine Fractals for example hate the crop tool. I feel I should know this being that I started using PS back on version 4, but I don't remember if there was a way to set an aspect ration for the selection tool or not. Really that is the best way, select your area and click image >> crop.. and it just trims the image without re-interpolating it.

Either that or upgrade to PS7 (loves it, in conjunction with ACDSee 5.0)