Re: Using camera lenses as enlarger lenses

Pablo Coronel wrote:

 Anyone has done that?
 is that a good idea?
 I found a couple of russian Leica mount lenses (screw 39mm) pretty cheap
 and was planning to test them as enlarger lenses.

Pablo Coronel R.

Pablo, Despite what the other two have said, the reverse is actually the case and it used to be normally expected that you would use the same lens for enlarging as was use to expose the negative.

Granted, because of modern technology and advancements on both sides of the
exposure process, you may not get today as good of results as with separate
lenses.  I recently bought for less than $150 a very good Nikkor 150
enlarger lens (newer version that sells for $750-$800 US) on eBay.  The 50
mm regularly goes for less than $50.  A 75 mm for a similar price.

Peace!
Sidney

Sidney,

What part of our statements are you referring to when you say that the reverse is true? That enlarging lens are not flat field or that some Russian Leica knock offs are not as likely to produce enlargements equal to an enlarging lens? I don't think either of us mentioned anything about lenses being expected to serve a dual purpose in the distant past.

Actually, there are some large format process lenses such as the Ronars and APO Nikkors that might make very good enlarging lenses. These are basically flat field lenses but some cost thousands when new and are certainly not in the same category as the lenses he is talking about.

I stand by my statement that probably even an inexpensive 4 element enlarging lens would most likely do a better job than what he is considering and, as you have pointed out, might just be as inexpensive provided, of course, that he has access).
--
Joe Miller