Re: Camera drowning

Well the camera was toast. I took everything to Phototronics, a reputable
camera repair in Seattle. They gave the F100 the thumbs down. Said once
water gets into the VF area, the electronics are fried and the camera is
basically beyond re-birth. They Nikon wouldn't even deal with them at that
point.

The two lenses may fair better. $130 each for complete tear downs. $60 each
for new circuit boards. That's the good news. The bad news is the lake water
may have etched the coatings and the lenses may have unacceptable image
degradation as a result. Can only tell after cleaning. The new lens can have
the glass replaced, but the old lens would be a paperweight just like the
camera.

So I replaced the camera and we'll see about the lenses. F100 paper weight
anyone?

I asked them what would have been the best approach to saving the glass,
they said we should immediately put the lenses in a plastic freezer bag, and
put them into the refrigerator until they can be taken to the repair shop,
ASAP. Don't try to dry them out and put them in water only if they are
submerged in salt water. I was told, the only saving grace was that I took
the glass to them immediately which is the best way to save them.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy. The Crazy ones were shooting film."