Re: A Burning Issue

Russ,

Yes, you can do that automatically.
Here is how you do :

1) You open IrfanView; then you click on File/thumbnails;
2) This will show you the thumbnails in the right window and the tree of
your directories on the left.. Each time you change directories, the
thumbnails are refreshed and reflect the content of the selected folder.
3) Select the pictures you want in the slideshow with your mouse (same rules
as for selecting things in Windows)
4) Choose the command File/start slideshow;
5) This will open a large dialogue boxe where everything is fixed easily;
Select the folder where your pictures are stored in the upper right frame;
then along the left vertical frame choose the add button (or the add all
button if you want all the pictures in that folder); the picture chosen will
appear in the left frame. Then choose your settings for the slideshow; this
is pretty evident, you'll find what suits you best; when you are done,
choose save as exe/scr file;
6) This will open a smaller dialogue box. You'll be able to save the
slideshow as a standalone slideshow, with the exe extension; you'll be able
to save the pictures to fit a window and determine the size of that window :
if you haven't downsampled your pictures before, this may be the way to go..
But I've not tried feeding original files.. I've always done the resampling
in PS before..

Frankly, for batch work, there is nothing like Photoshop.
You'd be better of by creating an action in Photoshop and applying it to all
your pictures.

The batch command is already there in Version 5 : look for
File/Automate/batch; then you'll be asked to pick the folder with the
original picture and the folder where you want the final picture to be put
and finally the name of the action you want to apply.

Creating these actions or script is easy : just display the script palette
and click down on register a new action; make the needed steps (for instance
Image/size and then a sharpen filter).

Once you have your downsampled pictures, then use Irfanview.

Your workflow could be something like :
1) Getting a first look at the results in Irfanview, throw away what is bad,
or move the good ones in your keep folder.
2) Then, corrections and retouching to your pictures in PS..
3) Automate actions in order to downsize your pictures in a new folder.
4) Completing a slideshow in Irfanview..
5) Burning the CD with you CD burner..

There is no good program doing everything well.. Switching from one program
to the other is not really a big trouble.

I like IrfanView, because it allows a fast overview of the pictures and of
what is stored in the folders.. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to get
really good quality for your pictures if you do all the downsampling in this
little program..

--
Christiane