gallery comments 27/5/03

My thoughts on the current exhibition at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

------------------
Robin G. Ramos - Precious Pearl
A very sweet picture; Man (well, boy) and Nature united. The colors are
wonderful and the composition is good. It might have been improved if
the boys head was fully in the frame. I wonder what kind of image you
could get if the hands were just covering the sun and not using flash...
equally dramatic perhaps, and quite different?

Marilyn Dalrymple - Waiting for a Home
The story (your text) does not come out of the picture. I see a cat
looking out the window (looking for freedom, open spaces...?) in some
non appealing surroundings ("I want to get out of here"). I would have
cropped a bit on the right, removing the cupboard (?) and making the
curtain extend out the image in both sides making it better balanced.
Your on-camera flash made a bright spot on the frame.

Janine C. Hanson - St. Jerome with Fresco
That is well perceived! The statue seems to be acting in the fresco, and
yet he clearly does not belong there (he is blue). Very good placement
of the hands "touching".  There is something with the balance - the left
part is troublesome... but of course the fresco painter never intended
this view!

Judy Curiel - Barn with two holes
Nice colors, but you would have got more saturation and better sharpness
by shooting from right in front of it (but maybe your own shadow would
be falling on it then?) Now it seems a bit cluttered: the opening on
lower right, the oblique lines, the highlight reflections...

Linda Wilson -
Nice movement, the fence and wall leading to the castle and - presumably
- on to the church. Anyway, there is some postcard-in-black-and-white
about it... like I cannot get the mood - it leaves me quite indifferent.
And it seems to be leaning a bit to the right, out of balance.

Lea Murphy - Triangles
Triangles... but for geometrical abstraction I prefer a pose less
careless (the knee). The best triagle nude was made by Edward Weston,
and I can't help but compare... not fair, I know.

Bob Talbot - Peacock
If you cut away the lower part (the ground) you have a very good image.
The movement blur is nice! You would have had the perfect shot if the
background behind him had been all green grass...

Gregory david Stempel - Pillows in the Sun
Cut the lower left speck of light and the upper black rectangle and you
have a far better shot, with some very interesting light/dark patterns
and interactions.

King/Arthur - Eddy in His New Apartment
Well, nice backlighted plant, a window frame, wall opposite...oh,
there's a bird as well ;-)  It has a nice soft feeling to it, but the
right half of the image is essentially clutter.

Dan Mitchell - Waiting
Streetshots... well, not my type of photo. Sorry. No clear idea (that I
can grasp), no connection between the two men. I keep asking why?

Rand Flory - Dinner
Looks nice, I get hungry... But nothing else to sustain my interest in
the image. You could have tried to arrange patterns of food and shot
more from above. Or even much closer, focusing on a tomato leaving
everything else blurred. For example...

Jim Davis - Coot Chicks
More birds Jim... ;-)  The highlights in the background annoys me. I
would have liked to see more of the flower too. Have you considered a
polarizer to take out reflections from vegetation and water?

That's it for this week. As always, it was a pleasure!

Cheers,
Thomas