Re: White Balance?

Hi Russ,

Try using a white sheet of paper in a test shot to be able to correct for
the colors. There are two ways to make that :

A) Does the Olympus E10 allows for a custom white balance ? The canon
cameras for instance allows you to shoot at a white piece of papers and to
choose that picture in camera as your white balance picture. This gives
perfect match.. You can use a grey card (I've no fixed opinion about whether
one is better than the other, may be some here knows).

B) If the Olympus E10 doesn't allows custom wb, use the test picture of the
white sheet of paper or  grey card in order to find out the corrections you
need in the curve tool. Don't use the Auto wb option in any case, but rather
the daylight or the flash wb, in order to keep consistence between your test
white sheet and the following portrait pictures..

Apparently the auto-wb doesn't like your studio setting, try to put it on
daylight or on flash, if you don¹t' have the custom wb option and use it to
find out which wb options calls the least correction.

Le 27.5.2003 13:14, «?Russell Baker?» <rebphoto@pronetisp.net> a écrit?:

> I wonder if the white balance was affected by the red shirt
> or maybe I should manually set the white balance for the
> Studio Lights rather than use auto.

Probably.. Yes, that's what I'd do; I think that the awb is probably rather
aimed at usual shooting situations; studio lighting isnt' what the usual guy
is doing.  Look whether you have the possibility to make a custom wb
setting, that would be the best solution. If not, the tests with a white
sheet of papers, will allow you to find out which wb settings is the nearest
match and use the grey balancer dropper to find out which curves you need to
apply in PS systematically.  Unless your studio settings changes, you may be
able to apply that curve with a PS action to all your shots.

--
Christiane