Re: Fw: Gallery Review for 2003-05-17

Bob wrote:

>Some random thoughts while viewing the full-scale images.
>Is this the worst set of images that have ever been shown in the PF gallery?

No, not by a long shot. I love Bob's reviews. Not only does he get
right to the point and with a bit of humour, but they require one to
read between his lines a bit to fully appreciate them. Here's my
thoughts:

>John Edwin Mason:
>"John D'earth and Conrad Herwig"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/jmason.html

It's a bit small, surely black and white can be a bit bigger.
Now, about the image. I think it's a bit different and slightly more
interesting with the focus rear and highlighting the person back there
who seems to look slightly angry and menacingly at the photographer.
next

>David Small:
>"Walk in Water"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small-1.jpg

Unfortunately the main subjects are too dark in shadow to appreciate
what might have been a very good photo.

>Dan Mitchell:
>"Pulley"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

I love the textures and colours of this photo. Ain't digital colour
great! Well seen to take such a mundane everyday thing and makes this
image.

>Rand Flory:
>"Autumn at Beck Lake"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/flory.html

Again, too small to appreciate, and too dark. To heck with the
highlights when you need midtones! It's just too wishy washy flat
overall.

>Jeff Spirer:
>"Maple Shack"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spirer.html

This is a very nice maple shack, heck it looks  like the summer
kitchen in a big old farmhouse. I think you captured a part of this
scene - lots of steam, and cold outside means you try to stay warm and
have to work in all this steam.
I have to say though that I'd have liked a much lighter scene. It's
not that you were trying to hold detail through the window outside -
increase the exposure!

>Greg Fraser:
>"Hidden Meaning"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/fraser.html

Hey, it'd make a great wallpaper tiled. If you really really like
yellow of course. I like it in small quantities.

The stamens are confusing to me, and as an abstract, this image just
does nothing for me. I can't find any hidden meanings either. These
darned flower photos are tough. I took some recently and was wowed by
the colours, but otherwise they're just flower shots.

>Don Draper:
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/draper.html

I like the background, the lighting, everything is very nice here.
The top flowers though look out of focus. Oh, and I hate fake flowers
too. Nevertheless, well done with such a subject.

>jIMMY Harris:
>"A SUNSET - It happens everyday"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/jharris.html

Well, it's not the best sunset photo I've ever seen. The centre part
looks like it was 'held back' in the computer or darkroom. It might be
better with a different colour glow rather than purple. Oh and some
detail in the surrounding scene would also have been nice.

Still, it's a pretty good photo due to the composition and interesting
clouds.

>Jim Davis:
>"Fairy Reflection"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html

I've got a lovely A3 print of this with a sharp eye and beak on the
bird. This is a relative thing though, as I find it sharp enough to
appreciate the surrounding scene and colours which is what I like best
about this photo. Giving an eyeball only a few pixels does seem a bad
thing, but that's life on the internet. Oh, and the top was cropped on
the large print.  :-)

And perhaps on a Mac it might look too light...

In any case I'll be honest and tell you all that I think this is the
best photo that I've ever taken. Maybe next week I won't, but we all
do get a certain feeling about certain photos we take, and this one
enchants me. Thanks for the review Bob, it brought me back to earth!

>Andrew Davidhazy:
>"Warped outlook"
>http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davidhazy.html

Very interesting, well done, Andy. This looks like a tough medium to
exploit, but you've done a nice job.

I agree, Bob. It was a good gallery.
Now, anyone else want to add to this, go ahead make my day.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/