Re: Gallery Review for 2003-05-17 and a plea for contest "judges"

Forum Members,

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner for all the good folk who reviewed my photo this week. I have been out trying to shoot some things I have never done before. So thanks to all who reviewed this week. I do want to go over the comments, as there were some interesting things said.

But first, I would like to ask for some volunteers to judge a contest for my wife and I, and the guy who has been our photographic mentor. We are doing a contest this summer, with a new topic each week, and we would like a couple of PhotoForum members to volunteer to judge the photos. It is something we are doing to improve our skills. I will send the details to anyone who would be interested in helping.

Okay, Talbot said:
-----------------
Rand Flory:
"Autumn at Beck Lake"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/flory.html

OK, nearly a great image.  The right hand side is just a tad too dark for me - enhanced (in a negative direction) but the mock-shadow effect

I can see what you were trying to achieve: bright bushes against murky, foreboding background scenery but it has not quite worked for me.

Oh, it's still a damned good shot - but we want perfection, no?
-----------------

I agree that perfection is the goal. Well, actually, I really think a good review by Bob is the goal. But one has to obtain perfection first, then, and only then, will the image be considered for the Talbot Seal of Approval. You will make me work harder, Bob. Thanks.

Marilyn then said,
-----------------
Autumn at Beck Lake:   At first glance I thought this had been hand colored.    The trees are startling because of their bright color and this is attractive.    Something bothers me about this photo however - and it may be just me.    I made an image of a bright yellow earthmover with everything around it "almost" silhouetted.  The number one criticism of the image was that the surrounding areas should be totally black or there should be some detail    I want to see more detail in the rocks around the trees, or see the area completely black.
-----------------

I think I agree with you in wanting to see more details. My problem is that I DID see more details in the print. Once I had seen the print, I can no longer see the small image that I sent for review, as my mind still KNOWS the details are there. I will have to watch that in the future. That was a very good point.

Davis later stated:
-----------------
Again, too small to appreciate, and too dark. To heck with the highlights when you need midtones! It's just too wishy washy flat overall.
-----------------

Hmmm, I think I see a pattern developing in the comments. And Davis is correct, the 8x10 print was better, at least in my mind. This submission is too small and too dark (and the dark is part of compression from the small size--very astute Jim).

Then Fraser commented in his inimitable style:
-----------------
I like the combination of golden leaves on the rich, dark backdrop. The composition seems peaceful balanced with everything fitting into its place. Even the menacing clouds form themselves nicely between the mountain peaks. Having two trees seems too dull to me though. I would have chopped down one of them for the shot.
-----------------
You may be right that one tree would have been better. I heard somewhere that subjects should be an odd number. When I saw the scene in real life, I did want to remove one of the tress (anticipating that Greg would comment if I didn't). I don't like axes and usually would use C4 to take out trees. But the last time I tried to mix up a batch in the kitchen, I blew up the house. So now I just let nature dictate what will be in the photo.

And thanks for the composition comments. It made me feel good.

Lastly, Thomas Dall added:
Why the silly border?  Very effective image. Good contrast light-darkness. Looks like mother nature is going in with some heavy
showers very soon.
Thanks Thomas. I read somewhere in the last couple of weeks that when an artist reviews a photograph or judges a contest, s/he looks at an image differently than does a photographer. Photographers are frequently critical of photographic technicalities, such as focus, exposure, etc. An artist looks more at composition, light and suchlike. That seems to be more where you are coming from Thomas. Thanks, again. I appreciate your opinion.

Oh, the silly border. I just like it for Web offerings. No other reason. Just personal preference.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to review ALL of the submissions this week. I hope to have enough time next week to do that myself.

peace and pixels

rand