Smithsonian photo censorship

"NEWSWEEK

May 5 issue ? For photographer Subhankar Banerjee, it should have been a publicity coup. During the Senate?s March 19 debate over proposed oil drilling in Alaska?s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, opponents of the legislation used blown-up photographs of polar bears and caribou to urge the reserve?s preservation.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS WERE from ?Seasons of Life and Land,? Banerjee?s first book and the subject of an exhibit at the Smithsonian?s National Museum of Natural History opening in May. During the debate, which resulted in defeat of the bill, Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer held up Banerjee?s book and implored her colleagues to visit the exhibition. Days later, Banerjee received notice that the Smithsonian, which depends on Congress for its funding, had decided to move his exhibition from a prominent space near the museum?s rotunda to the bottom floor, and the exhibit?s captions were expunged of quotes from Jimmy Carter, who, in the foreword to Banerjee?s book, urges ANWR?s preservation. Attorneys for the museum insisted that Banerjee remove all mentions of the Smithsonian from his book. ?I was told that my work was just too political. It?s just photographs,? Banerjee says. A Feb. 27 design plan lists the exhibit?s location to be a space near the rotunda, but Smithsonian officials say the changes were ?routine? and deny any political pressure. ?To my knowledge, there have been no complaints about the show,? says Michelle Urie. Others aren?t so sure. Last week Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin wrote Smithsonian chief Lawrence Small demanding an explanation. ?I really hope this is not an effort by the White House or anyone else to diminish the value of these photographs,? says Durbin. The White House had no comment. ?Holly Bailey "

http://wwbphoto.com/gallery1.html