Re: Vestal "On taking yourself seriously"

Gregory david Stempel <fyrframe@centurytel.net> writes:

> Someone actually started a conversation about photography, thank you.
>
> Is this the same Vestal who now writes in Photo Pro?
>
> As a photographer, are we taking ourselves seriously or our work? If I buy a
> roll of film (24 frames not 36) from the k-mart' check out line, then spend
> an hour on aching knees trying to image a spider on a branch in the rain
> while hungry, but I don't use fill flash at the Rowell rated -1.7, am I
> serious?

There's at least one selective force favoring people who take
themselves too seriously -- if you're obsessed with your work, you
actually work at it.  If you have *any* hope of producing decent work,
working harder at it is going to help.

And if you're obsessed with self-promotion, you get more attention.
This selects for self-obsessed people, but does *not* select for
better work.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>