Re: Thanking the LA Times

From: "Mike King"

Hey Mike, not singling you out, OK?

> You're absolutely right and France would be speaking German right now if
> we'd stayed out of WW1 or WW2.

To any decendants of the countless millions of russians who died fighting
and defeated the Nazi Germans who take offense at this statement, feeling
their efforts had gone unnoticed, not all the world has ignored their
massive contribution to the conclusion of that chapter of a dark time.

And to those Germans who may be offended, not all of this current generation
are prone to accidentally lumping the present generation in with the Nazi's
of that same time.

And to the American citizens who feel that the rest of the world is against
you and despises America, take heart that most thinking people are very
quick to make a distinction between the US government and it's people.

And to the Americans who felt disgusted at the US's decision to refrain from
fighting in the second world war, know that we understand the decision of
the leaders to protect the country from the threat of potential loss of life
at the time.

And to any Japanese reader, some Australians are aware of our countries
hypocracy in isolating Japan from the rest of the world, and the cost of
that partitioning that almost bankrupted your country and left it agrieved
to the point that it chose war, as all avenues of diplomacy were closed to
your leaders at that time.

And to the French who's ancestors helped America in becoming a Republic in
the model of Frances own republic, I'm sure many Americans DO recognise and
are greatful for your past benevoleance.

And to the Australians who resent America, feeling that the decision to
sacrifice Australia to Japan should things go bad was a betrayal, America
has never forgotten our contribution to the many battles we faught with
them, especially the Coral Sea campaign, and the US never did actually
sacrificed ANY ally.

And to any Iraqi who feels betrayed that the US funded and armed Iraq, only
to turn on it later attacking it's people, we hope you understand that the
_intent_ is not to harm Iraq or it's people but instead to remove a power
hungry leader (I hope..)

Please people.  We all have debts we can never repay and we all have dark
moments in our history and we all have a point at which we feel we must draw
lines, pulling up isolated moments in time one can justify any emotional
argument.

they are all facts, all open to interpretation and all justifiable or
deniable.

My hope for all of you aboard this list, and all the people you know is that
you all remain safe and free from harm in the times ahead of us

karl
(call me naive)