Re: Thanking the LA Times

> Did you look at the pictures that were taken and the manipulated
final
> image? There was much more going on there than just improving
"composition."
> The result actually was photographically very well done. But there
was a
> distinct change in meaning of the photographs. The two original
images
> showed a pretty innocent event taking place. The final image was one
of a
> hard-nosed "war" photo depicting the toughness of our troops in
dominating
> the nationals from the other side. That was not an innocent change.

Rand:  you have it exactly.

The two original images are mundane.
In the manipulated one the soldier's hand is (metaphorically) putting
down the now juxtaposed (cowering?) pleading Iraqi prisoner.
The composite, enhanced by the crop, tells a very different story

> And Bob and Jim, while I respect your fervor, I fail to see the
logic of
> equating a lack of support for our war ...

It's mob mentality:  I frankly cannot respect thier fervor for killing
many thousands of innocent Iraqis guilty of no more than trying to
defend thier country against what they see as the forces of Satan.
While the first Gulf war was justified: this one is little more than a
PR exercise ...

Ashamed to be British right now ...