Gallery Reviews of 2003 Mar 22

> Bob Talbot: "St. Abbs Harbour"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html

A) rand flory noticed:
A study in color. A study in of three-dimensional display. A study in
balance. An advertisement for St. Abbs Harbour. A beautiful picture.
Talbot,
ya done good.

@ You nailed the technical elements of thes shot:  it was not a chance
encounter but one I thought about a lot. In the frame:
1) It was a study in colour: the red of the mooring ring and the
yellow lichen
2) the 3D effect of using a 24mm lens at f/32: I also took some with a
20mm but they were a bit too close up
3) an advertisement for St Abbs:  indeed.  I don't take photos when I
can buy the same shot in a post card.  I was trying to present this,
one of my favourite "chill-out" villages, "as if" it was a postcard.

Out of shot, just left of frame is a modern lifeboat house:  a
"monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much loved friend" came to
mind.It's hideous and totally out of keep with the village.

B) Cap'n Jimmy commented:
I like this shot with one reservation........the red thing pulls my
eye right out of the picture........without it, it becomes a very
nice panorama.........

@ OK ... mmm ... maybe I should stitch the panoramas I took at St Abbs
the same week.  I appreciate the comment but pardon me if I smile
because the red ring *was* the subject -  the thing that makes this
shot different from any other I have seen.  ;o)

Gregory Fraser  enthused:
Bob I really like this shot. I like the placement and inclusion of the
red mooring ring, the endless DOF, the variety of primary colors, the
sky, the way you handled the reflections in the water and the scene in
general. Very, very nice.

@ Well, in the face of so many good words I have to confess that the
shot I really wanted had a green fishing boat returning to harbour in
the enpty expanse of water to the left.  The boat did come in (there
is only one: it is green) but at theat time the sun was occluded and
the shot looked flat.  I'll try again this summer if I'm up there,
actually I've only missed one year in the last 15 ...

Thomas Dall brought me down to earth with:
It is abit dull at least on my monitor, but I feel the colors were
more
saturated at the scene, and maybe also on the slide? Maybe a polariser
could have been handy, taking away the reflections in the water and
given the colors a boost.l

@ What can I say?  The monitor thing is a MUCH bigger factor than it
should be in this day and age.  Modern technology enables us to read a
newspaper from space (why?) but two allegedly similar spec monitors
...   On my system (PC)  the picture looks fine: possibly a bit too
saturated for reality.  On my works' monitor (PC) it looks a tad flat.
On a modern LCD display it looked total sh*te ... WISINWYG ...

Great sincere thanks to all the reviewers.  Four is actually quite
good, particularly when so incisive.   I'm humbled by the competition
, so I still can't bring myself to start reviewing again ..

Bob

PS ... for David Small.  Get off my patch!!!  I can take the hint -
back to nature from now ...