Signing prints

Guy,

I hope I didn't offend you, far from my intent.

>>>Any other comments on signing prints or not?  Or on protecting images
posted on the web (I know, this comes every so often and the answer is
always the same: "If you want to protect your images don't post them on
the web...!".  But maybe someone has something new to say on the
subject...  ...?).<<<<

>>>H.R.354, sponsored by Rep Coble, Howard, Chairman of the Courts and
Intellectual Property Subcommittee, introduced this bill in January of 1999
focused on amending title 17, United States Code, to provide protection for
certain collections of information. The Collections of Information
Antipiracy Act, amends Federal copyright law to make liable to the injured
party anyone who makes available to others a substantial part of a
collection of information gathered or maintained by another person through
the investment of substantial resources, so as to harm the other person's
(or a successor's) primary or related market for a product or service that
incorporates such information and is offered or intended to be offered in
commerce.

It also provides that protection shall not extend to information gathered or
maintained by or for a government entity, to computer programs, or to
digital online communications. It stipulates that nothing in this Act shall
limit, impair, or annul in any manner the protections under Federal or State
law or regulation relating to the collection or use of personally
identifying information, including medical information.

The bill is supported by businesses which create content (such as
Reed-Elsevier, Thomson, and IBM), but opposed by businesses such as Yahoo!,
Bloomberg and E-Trade and academics that republish other people's database
content, and don't want to pay for it.<<<<<

Governments made sure they got their "except me!" clause.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g

Take care,