Re: Thoughts on the PF members' exhibits 03-01-03

At 9:43 PM -0600 3/2/03, Roger Eichhorn wrote:
I'm embarrassed! I hadn't noticed the dust until you mentioned it. I should have cleaned it up. You're correct about the cropping too. That's why you're a professional and I'm an amateur!

The hills will be golden this summer but first they'll be covered with wild flowers.
I suppose they'll be brown by the time I get there in May.....

The suggestion I made about the crop harks to a famous photograph by Galen Rowell of great sanddunes in China, and to give the dunes scale he left in a few unbelievably tiny horses with tiny riders and only the smallest line of grassy plain before the dune.

The photo's in Mountain Light, page 154.

It's the problem of how to make something look big when you're standing straight in front of it, a relative of the problem of how to shoot waterfalls and stairways so they look like they going down and not flat.

The thing to me about Kate Wolf's "rolling golden hills of California" is that they roll right down to the edge of the water, or, on the other side, to the edge of the central valley. So there's that juncture between tumult and flatness, which Galen's China image accentuates by that crop.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822