Re: Opinions on Photo

so- here's what I thought.

The candles seemed to have been arranged according to some dimensions of
the room they were in. Were this a self portrait with the camera on a
tripod I believe that much more attention would have been paid to their
positioning in the frame.
I don't understand why the three in the foreground aren't aligned with
the eight in the background (which seem to be so carefully placed).

Also, why do the lights go out of the frame on the left while the model
goes out of the frame on the right? Once again the careful placement of
the eight votive candles in the back causes me to want a formal
structure in the composition causing all the other elements placement to
seem haphazard.

The lighting gives a sense of mystery to the shot that is killed by the
presence of the white doors in the background. Suddenly I realize that
we are in an apartment with shag carpeting.

I feel that lowering the camera angle to minimize the texture and amount
of the carpet and disguising the back wall with perhaps a draped
material would allow me to escape the mundane realities of this
environment. I have had encounters in environments like this and
invariably everyone involved came away with rug burns. I
need/want/require my fantasies to be sexier than that.
I would use the placement of the candles to lead the viewer into the
image. Perhaps even having some (one?) looming very large and out of
focus fuzzy in the foreground. Show me the entire body or have a reason
why you didn't. For sure try to get a tad bit of light on the background
behind her so that I can make out that fabulous shock of hair and
perhaps the curve of her shoulder and hip.

And lastly? Choose all black wardrobe or all white wardrobe or get rid
of it all together. No mixing and matching. No plaids or bows.

I think that this situation surrounding the production of this image is
one that I myself would have liked to have been in. That in itself makes
it a very successful image. I for one find amateur efforts much more
provocative than professional ones and if for no other reason than that
you should ignore everything I have suggested.

What do you think Greg?