Gallery X, Eastside Raceway

Hi, folks.

I'd like to invite you to view and comment on my
photos in PF's Gallery X.  They're there because I
need your help.

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/cgi-bin/gallery-x/index.html

The pics are a small fraction of those that I took at
Eastside Raceway, during the 2002 season.  I've
included some that I think work and some that I'm not
sure about.

I began this project because I found the scene at the
track fascinating and wanted to explore it.  Two
things in particular grabbed me:  the visuals created
by the cars, the smoke, the people, and the changing
light; and the comfortable and unselfconscious racial
integration, something that I hadn't expect to find.

I'm thinking about the project, which I'll continue
this season, as documentary about racing and race.

As a photographer, I'm largely self-taught.  I look at
a lot of documentary photography and reportage, and I
read about it.  But I've never studied it with anyone
and don't think that I've ever even had a sustained
conversation about it.  I'd like to.

Thanks, John