Re: Gallery Impressions - 29 Jan 02

Christiane, verrrrry interesting! I was captivated by Brocklin's painting from the moment I encountered it many years ago at university, and Kubrick's work is among my favorites. The great power of art is that it makes a multitude of connections--both visible and hidden. The more you look, the more you find!

John

John Palcewski
Isola d' Ischia, Italia

Vittoria's Island, an imagenovel:
www.palcewski.com/VI

Photographically illustrated fiction:
www.palcewski.com/stories

Thanks for the compliment John. It's curious that you thought to
Kubricks'Monolith, because "The Monolith" is also the name of Jean Nouvel's
construction. I don't know whether he was thinking to Kubrick's Space
odyssey or not. The theme of the whole "Arteplage" (aka Artbeach) was
Transience and Permanence (which is not a litteral translation of Instant
and Eternity). He says that he created this design thinking to a painting of
Bocklin "The Island of the Dead"; the Monolith, like an island could only be
reached by boat and was supposed to represent Eternity.

Le 26.1.2003 12:06, « John Palcewski » <palcewski@hotmail.com> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh, Morat, July 2002. An arresting mix of the familiar and the
> enigmatic. The summer haze renders the background in soft pastels,
> enhancing a feel of space and distance. The rusty cube in the water is a
> bit too boxy to be compared to the Monolith in Kubrick's 2001, A Space
> Oddesy, and has absolutely no relation to anything else in the scene. The
> man, absorbed by something in his hand, perhaps a cell phone, is aware of
> nothing at all unusual nearby. This image carries no discernable
> metaphorical or allegorical meaning, but nevertheless succeeds because of
> its compelling ambiguity. Bravissimo!
Christiane