Re: Gallery Impressions - 29 Jan 02

Hi all,

A big thank to the four reviewers for their interesting comments on my
picture (http://membres.lycos.fr/lunebleue/spsalon/pages/p40_obvious.htm).
Before the PF exhibition changes, here is some info on the intriguing cube :
it was part of the Expo02 the Swiss National Exhibition which took place
last year and was designed by the French famous architect, Jean Nouvel. It
contained two panoramic attractions; at the lower level a contemporary
slideshow combining different views of Switzerland daily environment (both
indoor and outdoor) or of traditional scenic mountain cliché; at the second
floor there was a panorama painting of the 18th century representing a
famous battle. For those interrested, I've put some link at the bottom of
this mail :

Le 26.1.2003 4:00, « DSmall9917@aol.com » <DSmall9917@aol.com> a écrit :

> Exeptional group of photos this week. Finally no sunsets flowers and surises.
>
> Crristiane Roh--- Morat
> I believe it was on the street photography list that I had the pleasure of
> seeing this before. Minimilist by design The cube on the left not only
> balances what would otherwise be an uaceptable composition,the subject walking
> out of the frame. But it leaves the viewer wondering what that box is. If my
> memory is right this was the winner in the SP salon and it deserved it.

Thanks for the kind words Dave; I knew some PF members are also on the SP
list, but I hoped it wouldn't leek in too early; The Splist Salon are
thematic and the picture was presented for the "Obvious" theme. I was
curious to see how the picture would hold out of this thematic context.

Le 26.1.2003 12:06, « John Palcewski » <palcewski@hotmail.com> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh, Morat, July 2002.  An arresting mix of the familiar and the
> enigmatic.   The summer haze renders the background in soft pastels,
> enhancing a feel of space and distance.  The rusty cube in the water is a
> bit too boxy to be compared to the Monolith in Kubrick's 2001, A Space
> Oddesy, and has absolutely no relation to anything else in the scene.  The
> man, absorbed by something in his hand, perhaps a cell phone, is aware of
> nothing at all unusual nearby.  This image carries no discernable
> metaphorical or allegorical meaning, but nevertheless succeeds because of
> its compelling ambiguity. Bravissimo!

Thanks for the compliment John. It's curious that you thought to
Kubricks'Monolith, because "The Monolith" is also the name of Jean Nouvel's
construction. I don't know whether he was thinking to Kubrick's Space
odyssey or not. The theme of the whole "Arteplage" (aka Artbeach) was
Transience and Permanence (which is not a litteral translation of Instant
and Eternity). He says that he created this design thinking to a painting of
Bocklin "The Island of the Dead"; the Monolith, like an island could only be
reached by boat and was supposed to represent Eternity.

Le 29.1.2003 21:14, « Gregory Fraser » <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> a
écrit :

> Christiane Roh (Morat, July 2002) - I really, really like the subject matter
> and the balance thereof in this image. The huge, dark cube by itself on one
> side and the man, sign, bulk of the hills and almost all of the clouds on the
> other. It reminds me of the new VW Beetle ads that Gestalt the shape of the
> beetle with its environment. I did find though that the block grabs and holds
> my attention so strongly that I never really get over to get a good look at
> the man. I flipped the image and found that although I was drawn to the block,
> I could now move back to the left and for some reason having the man walking
> out the left edge of the image seemed more intriguing. He's not leaving
> because he's done. He's heading into something. Strange but true.

Hi Greg, thanks for bringing an interesting argument into question. I can
see your point if I flip it : it takes away some tension in the picture ..
But then the clock would tell a lie ;-)  I don't know, I prefer to keep
things in direct connection with reality; however this gives me food for
thought about my way of framing, because it's not the first time I get that
remark (Philip Wainer suggested the same thing for this picture as well :

http://membres.lycos.fr/lunebleue/spsalon/pages/p26_weather.htm

Le 31.1.2003 0:05, « Scoot22@aol.com » <Scoot22@aol.com> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh (Morat, July 2002)
>
> lovely color palette.
> textural too.
> interesting how the box balances the man, clock, shadow.
> i find myself trying to figure out what he's doing...(counting cracks? on his
> fingers?)
> ;-)
> and overlooking the scenery...which obviously is commonplace for him.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your kind comments; it's interesting to see how different people
are focusing attention on different things. At the time I snapped the
picture, the man was getting his hand out of his pocked and I thought he was
going to look at his wrist watch (which would have been really nice with the
larger clock in the background), but he was searching for his mobile phone.
I can still live with that.

Thank you all for your comments..

Those interested can find more about Jean Nouvel's cube here :

For a virtual visit :
http://www.expo.02.ch/f/il_etait_une_fois0/virtual_visit/morat/virtual_visit
_000.html#

For a webcam :
http://146.159.11.13/morat/cam.asp
You can type in which ever date and time you want

For more info concerning the construction of the Monolith :
http://www.axima.eu.com/internet/aximag/aximag_home_e.nsf/pFrameSetWeb?OpenP
age&Content=8B4BAFEC0EB6680BC1256C55003236D7

For some English article on the Event :
http://www.uk-ch.org/articles/telegraph.html
http://www.uk-ch.org/articles/aj.html

Note that the cube, as everything else in the exhibition is supposed to be
destroyed. The Monolith will be dismounted next week. It was supposed to be
sold but no buyer offered enough to meet the reserve price :
http://www.washtimes.com/world/20021128-54332268.htm

--
Christiane