Gallery Review - 1/25/03

Kostas Papakotas, tuning before the "MILKMAN." I like the work Kostas Papakotas has displayed here before, but I have to say that in my horridly biased opinion images of rock star guitar players are the most overworked visual cliches of our culture. Having seen over the years every conceivable approach--from tack sharpness to indisginguishable blur, from under- to overexposed, etc.--one looks for something original. These guitar player images obviously appeal only to the extremely young, to whom everything appears original.

Don Roberts, Music Ain't Everything. Well, here is an image that contains a guy playing a guitar (or is it a mandolin?) and I have no complaint. Nice grab shot.

David Small, N.Y.C. Nothing much appears to be going on here, other than a man and woman walking. Blacks, grays on a gloomy day.

Michael Weiser, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Such street portraits of old folks convey powerful emotion through a skillful mix of weathered texture, darkness, and facial lines. As it stands this image provides a lot of darkness and texture, but little of the face. I'd crop in much closer, getting rid of the big black section on the left. There's plenty of darkness in the woman's shadow.

Karen Habbestad, winter. I'd like to see more of the horse's face, but then on second look this works very well to emphasize the snow surrounding its nose. Nice shot.

Brian van den Broek, Vespa, Padua. Primary colors always draw attention, but this image seems to need some context, something recognizable.

Louis C. Smith, untitled. Nothing recognizable here, but as an abstraction it works because it has a good mix of evocative and contrasting elements.

Marilyn Dalrymple, Bicycle Wheel. Moody, sad image. Fits perfectly with a cold, windy and rainy day.

Roland Idaczyk, Toby and his Friend. This would likely be greatly improved were more of the cat's face visible.

King/Arthur, Baby/Lamb. Blur/Why?

John Palcewski
Isola d' Ischia, Italia

Vittoria's Island, an imagenovel: