Gallery review 1/25/03

Exeptional group of photos this week. Finally no sunsets flowers and surises.

Crristiane Roh--- Morat
  I believe it was on the street photography list that I had the pleasure of seeing this before. Minimilist by design The cube on the left not only balances what would otherwise be an uaceptable composition,the subject walking out of the frame. But it leaves the viewer wondering what that box is. If my memory is right this was the winner in the SP salon and it deserved it.

Kostas PapaKotas.....Tuning
   The play of light on his face and hands are perfect. The hint of the microphone doesn't compete with the main subject. I know this is a lot tougher than it looks. I almost feelas if i'm sitting front row center.

Don Robeerts....Music Aint Everything
Don, this is one that I wish I had taken. My kind of photography. You might try to crop the right side slightly. it would eliminate that white thingamagig in the upper right corner,and improve the composition. Just for kicks why not see how it looks converted to black and white.

Mike Weiser...San Miguel
I can feel that strong hot sun. The women depicts a life hardship to me, and the dark shadows exentuate that feeling Wish there was a little more detail in the lower right, but under the circumstances that would be asking too much. Unless the scan loses the detail. Well Done

Jeff Spirer....Door
Someday I should make a trip to Mexico. The picturesqe decay is intoxicating. Your ability to convey that view is perfect tonally and composition wise. this is a gem.

Karen Habbestad...Winter
I believe this is your first submission to the gallery. Lookig forward to seeing more. Again unorthodox composition but effective. The expanse of white "zeros"
in the cold. I just put another sweater on. You paint a picture for me of a solitary horse somewhere out on an open plain in the midwest.Tack sharp. Love it.

Brian Van den Broek...vespa
My first reaction wow what strong color. But no content. but the more I looked at it the sensuality jumped out at me. Maybe it's me. Most people would not notice this detail in a motor scooter.

Louis C.Smith
Very graphic the blue beam has a mysterious quality about it. would like to see more of the bottom of the glass figure that way you would have raised the horizon line,giving it a more interesting composition. This would make an interesting contemporary poster.

Marilyn Dalrymple...Bicycle Wheel
Since you are one of my favorite photogs on this list i feel free to say this shot just does nothing for me. I wish you would tell me what you see in it. Maybe a larger print would bring out what you saw.

Roland Idaczyk....Toby
I had a devil of a time finding Toby. But when I did I realized one thing you don't have is a mouser. Fun shot.

King/Arthur...Baby Lamb
I get the idea of what you are trying to convey but it is badly blurred. Don't know if the scan or the original is the problem.

Phew this is work. But satisfying. It forces you to really look at a photo. Our literate lurkers should really try to write a review.
Dave