Re: need HTML guru for small help

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> writes:

> >"maIlto:elf@cape.com"; <- The capital I might fool a few spambots, but
> >here's what I put:
> >href="m&#097;ilto:chandler&#064;yomogi.or.jp"
> >So if you use m&#097;Ilto:elf&#064;cape.com you may reduce spam a bit
> >more. (Not the Final Solution...)
>
> Hmm.  Which browser has  "mail to"?  When I look at the page in
> Netscape all the email links say "contact me".

Yes, the text of the link can be anything you like, but the link address
(after href=) is "mailto:me@spam.please.not"; - or whatever, but
disguising the magic strings "mailto:"; "@" and "." reduces the
probability that a spambot will harvest the address from your page. I
thought that the capital 'I' was an attempt at disguise.

> >pictures, but I may not "use" them. Well, if you said something like
> >"...for you personal enjoyment, and not for commercial purposes" I could
> >understand, but as it is - well, can I show my friends what nice
> >photographs you have? In paper terms, may I cut out the one I like best
> >and look at it more frequently?
>
> I'm sorry you don't understand.  I thought it was rather clear
> without saying "don't rip me off".  Taking anything from the site is
> copyright infringment.

"Taking"?? You see, that only makes sense to someone who _doesn't_
understand how the web works. I use my browser to take a copy of the
image from your server - that's what happens.

> metatags work as well.  They're on the index page.  I have to do more
> of them on the inside pages.  More housekeeping.

Largely, I'm afraid, search engines totally ignore keyword metatags.
(There are lots of metatags, and most have nothing to do with this.) In
particular google, which is the most important, ignores *keyword*, and
also ignores the *description* metatag, unless (IIRC) you get your page
in the appropriate DMOZ category.

> I would prefer not
> to have lots of words on the image pages.

Yes, I meant you need to have pages of writing as well.

> >Your cloud background doesn't tile. At
> >http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/ELFerguson.html
> >you've included
> >
> >  <!--body {  background-repeat: no-repeat}-->
> >
> >which leaves it stranded in the top left corner. You should be able to
> >fudge the joins, as I've done with my photo-backgrounds:
> >http://imaginatorium.org/tiles/tiles.htm
>
> I'll look into that.  I'm also not very happy with it but I want to
> have it there for the first couple of pages.  The dark plum is quite
> severe without being outright black.  Interestingly the bg does tile
> in Netscape 4.7 and 7 on my mac.

Sorry, it tiles in the mathematical sense, but isn't seamless. Should be
able to fudge the boundary in a cloud image, although you need to have
opposite sides matching colours.

> thanks for your imput.  Web sites seem to be akin to boats and hollow
> legs - they're bottomless holes where you store some resource (money,
> time, food etc.)

Hmmmm.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3