Re: need HTML guru for small help

At 10:49 PM +0900 1/22/03, Brian Chandler wrote:
http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/%20E%26S%20pageicon.jpg
This should (must!) be a .png or .gif file; graphics suffer terribly
from jpeggery.
Yes, yes.  Housekeeping.  I know about that.

"Massachusetts"
Bugger, that blows my theory. I thought all the consonants were doubled.
Ha, ha,  Mmassacchhussettss!  Love it!

"maIlto:elf@cape.com"; <- The capital I might fool a few spambots, but
here's what I put:
href="m&#097;ilto:chandler&#064;yomogi.or.jp"
So if you use m&#097;Ilto:elf&#064;cape.com you may reduce spam a bit
more. (Not the Final Solution...)
Hmm. Which browser has "mail to"? When I look at the page in Netscape all the email links say "contact me".

I can't avoid a feeling you're being a bit paranoid - the images are not
terribly small, but they could be a tad [(c) Snapper] sharper. I think
the front page message is too negative: I mean, I clicked "I
understand", but actually I don't understand at all. I may see your
pictures, but I may not "use" them. Well, if you said something like
"...for you personal enjoyment, and not for commercial purposes" I could
understand, but as it is - well, can I show my friends what nice
photographs you have? In paper terms, may I cut out the one I like best
and look at it more frequently?
I'm sorry you don't understand. I thought it was rather clear without saying "don't rip me off". Taking anything from the site is copyright infringment. In addition, because most people don't have a clue about how photographers make a living, they don't understand that it's done by licensing and relicensing. So I try to educate in that paragraph as well. And sure, I want people to enjoy the images, but the long range purpose is as a sales tool. The next item on the agenda is the "how to acquire" page.

My theory is that I make the images big enough to get the jist while not big enough to do a whole lot with. I'd like to have people bring their friends to look at the site, rather than take something from it and print it out and take it to the friend.

And, yes. Some of the earlier pages I didn't sharpen the jpegs after I made them for the site. I've fixed that!

If you do want more people to look (which I believe will ultimately
bring you more chances of assignments or commercial licensing) you have
to get ***words*** on those pages, because search engines only find
words. I get more than a million hits a year, and I guess that without
words I'd be lucky to find 10% of that.
metatags work as well. They're on the index page. I have to do more of them on the inside pages. More housekeeping. I would prefer not to have lots of words on the image pages. To me, they distract from the images.

Hmm. That's odd - the beech leaves don't look very beechy to me: are N.
American beeches different?
I dunno. I doubt that they're real different. Most of our beeches came from England I believe.

Your cloud background doesn't tile. At
http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/ELFerguson.html
you've included

 <!--body {  background-repeat: no-repeat}-->

which leaves it stranded in the top left corner. You should be able to
fudge the joins, as I've done with my photo-backgrounds:
http://imaginatorium.org/tiles/tiles.htm
I'll look into that. I'm also not very happy with it but I want to have it there for the first couple of pages. The dark plum is quite severe without being outright black. Interestingly the bg does tile in Netscape 4.7 and 7 on my mac.

thanks for your imput. Web sites seem to be akin to boats and hollow legs - they're bottomless holes where you store some resource (money, time, food etc.)
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822