Re: need HTML guru for small help

> > The most common kludge (though not deprecated) is to include a tiny
> > (byte-wise) transparent gif shown 1 pixel tall and 300 pixels wide.
> > There, it stays where it is.
Are you denying that is the most common kludge?
"pixel.gif" is about the most common filename in my internet cache!

> > HTML though was never intended to guarantee that people saw exactly
> > what you see.
You quoted this too ... are you implying HTML is supposed to give WYSIWTG?

> No. Since the window size isn't fixed, if you want a box filling about
> half the width of the window (25% space on the left, 25% space on the
> right), the way to do it is to specify width="50%". This isn't
> deprecated except for css fanatics, and css is a badly designed, and
> even worsely implemented mess, so better avoided where possible.

This does not work with (version 4.x) Netscrape.
It's fine until the content becomes too big for the "window"
IE sort of keeps the left and right borders equal
Netscape, err, your 25% 50% 25% ratios will not be maintained

If I'm browsing on an 800x600 monitor with navigation bars etc eating into even that the last thing I want is half the remaining space filled with --- space.

The singlularly biggest reason for having a gif is that neither browser can squash it.  It sets a lower threshold below which the content (text) will not wrap.
620 pixels wide?
480 pixels wide?

It simply means on bigger screens (where you have spare space) it will look as you intended.
On smaller screens/viewports
___It will not___
___all be________
___totally_______
___squashed______
___up in the_____
___middle of_____
___the screen____

Bob

PS ... I didn't say all browsers
PPS ... If you don't try to follow the standards that are present you can hardly whine about browsers not supporting them
PPPS ... Sell your soul to Micro$oft and achieve total compatability - with other IE users ...

> (Bob, I think specifying a table width like this really does work in
> about all browsers - as long as you aren't arguing with Netscrape about
> what it is that it is 50% _of_. More finely honed numbers like 98% often
> lead to problems.)
IME they don't handle tables very predictably at all neither between browsers nor between versions ...

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £13.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890