Inexpensive background suggestions

I am looking for tips/suggestions for inexepensive black or high-key white backgrounds to use in an "home studio" (seamless preferred). I have made some preliminary investigations and note that you can buy Muslin backgounds for about $50 to $75. There must be other solutions. I am looking for something simple, for portraits. If you have done this before, your suggestions would be most welcomed.
--Thanks in advance.
John.