gallery review

Greetings all,

	I posted once before, coming on two months ago by
now, I should think. I certainly intended to
contribute reviews (and to the gallery as well) more
often in the meantime. After my last post, I had to
work like a demon to buy the time for a few weeks of
no work at all in Italy over Christmas, and since
returning, have had the nose to the grindstone to make
up for the time spent. (The thesis steadfastly refuses
to write itself. How rude.) After some serious
monastic living, I think I am back to an equilibrium
to allow for more participation. (I certainly look
forward to posting some of my images from my trip in
the gallery and getting feedback from the group.)

	Without further ado, here are my comments on this
week's gallery. Thanks to all who contributed for the
opportunity to comment.

David Small --  The Fountain of Youth
	Often the title of a photograph seems to me like
something added on at the end. The most interesting
thing to me about this one is how much the title adds
to the work. On its own, the photo is very well done,
with a genuine human moment nicely frozen. Add the
title, and it becomes something more; 'fountain' read
both literally and metaphorically, giving the image
both an element of humour and of insight. Very well
done.

Dan Mitchell  --  Water's Edge
	I really like this. I enjoy reflections a lot, and
you have achieved a rich, painterly effect with one. I
have a suggestion: have you considered "hanging" it
upside down? I think it is really good as an obvious
reflection photograph, but the mill's being right-side
up, combined with some cropping, might yield a very
nice visual pun as well. (A first glance might recall
someone trying to paint as Monet visiting Van Gogh.)

Emily L. Ferguson  --  Above Drake's Beach, Point
Reyes National Seashore, CA
	I grew up very close to the Pacific (albeit by the
somewhat colder parts of it found in Canada), and this
one reminds me how much I miss the ocean. The CA coast
is filled with vistas like this, but from experience,
I know that often the majesty of the scene is lost
between lens and lab. This one manages to capture the
scope and grandeur of the coast very nicely.

jIMMY Harris  --  DUNE
	The dominant triangle of the dune makes for some
compositional interest. It is also an image which
demands to have a story told about it. ("Why on earth
. . . ?") I do feel though that there are two
problems. I think the colour cast is off enough to
distract a bit, and I think it would be more powerful
if the line of people in the foreground were more
dense. I also think it was brave to accommodate the
"climb the dune" plan while in charge of a youth trip.
I'd have been scared to death of getting sued if any
of them should have so much as got a grain of sand in
their eyes.

Steven Ross  --  Reflected Sunset
	Sunsets are another type of subject that I think of
as difficult to do well. So often, I have picked up a
sunset photo from the lab and been disappointed in how
the beauty of what I saw somehow eluded capture. This
one does pretty well to get it though. I think it is
interesting how the reflected colours are deeper than
those in the sky itself. The image has a puzzle for
me. Are the line reflected in the water telephone
wires? If so, were they edited out of the sky? or did
the angle of reflection make them visible in the
reflection but not the reflected?

Building the Museum  --  Gregory david Stempel
	It is an interesting subject matter, and the three
primary colours are nice, and the double-arched frame
around the lower worker is pleasing. I find myself
wishing for a bit more of the blue crane, but then I
don't know what problems there might have been there.

Ernie Nitka  --  Dusk comes to the vineyard
	I think this one has a nice sense of play to it.
There something humorous about it. And the repetition
of the main form is pleasing. The image strikes a
"Watch the Skies!" chord for me. An angle with a row
of several of the light appearing to head to the
lights in the distance would be very funny. Too bad
the second light was unlit.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS --  News Stand
	I think there is a very nice use of effects on the
news stand and vendor. The border of the image I think
is a bit distracting and busy. Perhaps it would be
stronger with less jagged (or even conventional)
edges.

Morley Roberts  --  Sleighs Go By
	This is a really fun photo. And it is very well done
both technically and compositionally. The one part
which might seem to have been overexposed is, to my
eye, the bright (rail?) on the far right. But as such
a small area, it doesn't produce a sense of total burn
out of part of the image; instead, it contributes by
showing the extreme end of the scale.

Doug Seibert  --  Manatees
	At least at the size afforded by my monitor, there is
not enough detail in this image for it to work as
documenting the manatees. The abstract pattern made by
the trees and water between them has some interest,
but I feel that the colours are too muted for that to
make an image either. Still, an interesting
perspective on the world; it makes me want to beg,
borrow, or steal a ride on the right sort of plane for
aerial work. (Somehow, photos of the wing of a 747
just don't seem to compete very well with this one!)

Andrew Davidhazy
	This one is beautiful. I very much like the way that
the light and dark interwoven on the luminous petals.
That, and the unusual angle, made me at least see
flowers in a way I had not done before. With well trod
ground like flowers it is difficult to avoid ending in
cliché, so the beauty of the image is even sweeter.

best,

brian van den broek
brianvanden@yahoo.ca