Re: PF member's exhibits on Jan 11, 2003

This week's review:

Christiane Roh: Lausanne, Market Day, Place de la Palud, March 2002
Good image, a day in the life of Lausanne. Nicely captured moment of a
simple activity, spontaneity and of "seeing." A classic street shot. Almost
everything works here, the exposure being well balanced. I am curious though
about the photographer's intent, the action is moving from right to left,
but the comp moves from left to right.

David Small: Salute
Another classic street shot that contains a wealth of strength. The exposure
is strong, the comp is strong and the framing is tight allowing just enough
information without any unnecessary detail. The photographer's choices
including the use of b/w made this image work exceedingly well. If it is not
staged, then I would consider the image a classic "decisive moment." A near
perfect moment.

Jeff Spirer: Sacrifice
The title confuses me, but then I am confused most of the time. I enjoyed
the colors and the way the scene is "plucked" out of reality. The exposure
works well, the comp is strong by the added exposed bricks at the upper
right. For me, this is one type of shot that makes photography worth the
efforts. A street scene, the facade, taken out of context and placed into an
impressionistic viewpoint.

Peeter Visasak:
"to snap the crystals and die,"  now that's dedication to one's craft,
at -30 no less. The snow is well exposed, the light is nice, using the rim
lighting that makes foregrounds stand out with separation and by adding
dimension. Unfortunately, that same foreground bush is lost in the upper
right as the busy background begins to compete for attention, and weakens
the overall comp. Beyond that, the photographer has offered an excellent
example of seeing when at first it seems nothing is there by allowing the
motion of the foreground bush to help emphasize an echoing motion of the
tree behind it.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer:
The bold slashing of the deep shadow is the obvious power in this image. It
is the most striking aspect of the entire comp. Another interesting aspect
of this image is the amount of information provided. Once you read this, you
know what is going on and exactly what has transpired. Although there is no
real excitement about the shot, it still succeeds in it's composition,
exposure and provides the viewer with a simple and easy to follow story.

Greg Fraser: "Coffee House"
A fine moment. The image is very successful, with a strong comp. Adding the
fork really did the trick although for me, a spoon would have been a smarter
choice with the coffee cup. I liked the choice of film and the scene's
softness and quite, somber mood. This image is very successful and leaves
nothing to be desired. This is another image that exudes a classic response
familiar with street photography.

One thought about Mr. Fraser's comp I would like to add below at the end of
my
reviews, which ties into an image presented last week.

King/Arthur: "In/Out/Beside
This is a bold image. It has a harsh atmosphere about it, which is not a
detraction, but adds a kind of symbolic nature to the scene. It's a dynamic
moment with an incredible amount of information. All of it adding to the
overall scene. The photographer's choice of the bold highlight and it's lack
of detail is marvelous. It exemplifies the challenges faced shooting this
type of  "in your face" street shooting by drawing your eye to point of
nothing and then filling in the comp with so much detail you find yourself
lingering in the moment well beyond the life of that moment.

Alan Zinn: "Greeters, Toronto"
Dynamic image and exciting choice of composition. The angle of view has a
strong, and eye challenging perspective. Adding the panoramic viewpoint to
all of this provided a dramatic enhancement and the necessary diversion to
bring all of the elements of this image into an exciting composition. This
is another fine example of street photography that forces the viewer to look
deeper. To see what is all there. Adding the sun was a good choice. The
statue adds a light hearted nature to the scene, especially when juxtaposed
with the harsh nature of commerce in the surrounding buildings.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS: "Waiting for the Bus"

This image has potential. It's stark nature gives it a feeling of being part
of a photojournalism story. The image unfortunately is held back by it's
static and basic frontal point of view. The horizontal lines do not follow
the frame and detract from the composition as well. The less than ideal
exposures work to hold the image in it's dreary ambience suggested by the
graffiti and dirty streets. Looking at the individual though, I am reminded
of poverty, loneliness and little hope and in that context, this image has
achieved at making a point about inner-city conditions.

Emily L. Ferguson: "Sculpting the Ice"

Confusing image. There is no distinct beginning to observing the image and
focus is only helped by the title. The colors are muted and blend in to one
another and has lost most of it's separation between foreground and
background. The face is insignificantly placed as well as the chain saw. The
angle on the chain saw is so sharp, it's lost in the myriad of shapes and
shadows and takes awhile to materialize as the tool in use. Although I do
not suggest it as a rule, I expect to see more emphasis placed on ice chips
flying away from the sculpture if the chain saw as it bites, chews and cuts
away the unnecessary parts of the ice.

Andrew Davidhazy: "Figure"
Interesting technique. It's reminiscent of a style from the past. As in
other images this week, this image also exudes a stark nature. The process
used and the nude subject tap into a darker side of our society, as if we
were peeping toms looking through someone's window late at night. That's
where the image stops. The pose is boring and there seems no point to the
nude. We have lost the beauty of the female body. I would love to see this
"Phoenix Process" used in something more industrial, such as steel workers,
heavy machinery or construction.

Additional Notes:

Mr. Fraser's image this week uses a compositional style that at first
disturbed me. The very tight cropping of the person sitting on the left
frame left me hanging, there was not enough of that individual to finish the
image. It then dawned on me why this image and the image of the Apple Crate
provided to us by Ernie Nitka last week, made me feel the way I did. They
both challenged my paradigm of what is right in compositions. Both images
pushed me into seeing more or beyond how I was trained. I have always seen
composition as
having to be finished, not necessarily complete, but definitely finished. My
mind needed enough of the subject in question to carry me over to
completion. These two images initially fell short. And it then dawned on me
that in fact, these images made me realize my weakness, that more was not
always definitely better. Quite frankly I enjoyed that realization very
much. Thank you both.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g