Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

> It's
> perfectly legitimate to fabricate a scene for a commercial
assignment.  But
> don't pretend it's a decisive moment.
Dave

Well stated.

RD and HCB (to name but two) have for decades been used as examples of
how a great photographer can "capture the decicive moment" (the slice
of life).  If you start to look at all thier images with a view that
they were staged then - while the images themselves don't change - the
mystery about how they managed to [ see - frame - fire ] does.

My own head is full of "what if's" in the sense of having ideas for
photos - for slices of life - that would be great to be lucky
(prepared & practiced) enough to capture.  The statue / man picture I
first linked to - I have one almost identical I took years ago (a real
slice of life) but it would have had so much more impact (as an image)
if I had repeated it with an actor posed better, looking slightly more
like the face etc ...

Maybe it is the whole idea of the "decisive moment" that is the myth.

Bob

"Be very, very careful what you put into that head,
because you will never, ever get it out."
-- Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)