Re: :Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

Dave wrote...

 <<<<Street photography is to a great degree voyeuristic for the viewer
as well as the photographer. If the photograph is outstanding it is no
less so if it was set up. But with the knowledge of the setup it's no
longer a slice of life, and it leaves the realm of street photography.
As far as credibility, the photographer has to live with his or her
deception. It's perfectly legitimate to fabricate a scene for a
commercial assignment.  But don't pretend it's a decisive moment.>>>>

I think then, that we have established clearly that Doisneaus
photograph, "Le Baiser de L'Hotel de Ville" (1950- 5 years AFTER
Eisenstadt's kiss for Life Magazine BTW  I'm still wondering about that
one) is not an example of Street Photography.

I ask once again, Did Robert Doisneau ever EVER ever publicly state that
it was? I know that he was regarded as an accomplished practitioner of
the genre and perhaps he was embarrassed to have done something so
warmly received that seemed to have his stamp on it?

I don't know...
I just don't want to call him a fraud if all he did was keep his mouth
shut. I believe the fun of street photographs is to enjoy them as
evocatively mysterious documents that allow the viewer his or her own
interpretation. I think it has been proven time and time again that it
is generally best for photographers to keep their pieholes zipped.

r  <--- best neither seen nor heard... like a good little street photographer.