Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28

Luis,

>>>What should we call this, the "disclosure" ?

   Should this be required, or work on the honor system ? If the former, in
Journalism ? Editorial illustration ? Advertising ? Celeb portraits ?
Architectural shots ? Wedding pix ? Documentary work ? Fine art ? Hunting
magazine illustrations ? Fiction book covers ? Websites ? Just curious.

    I wonder if Karl agrees that the photorapher that does  not disclose
exactly how the image is made compromises his integrity by considering that
information private ?<<<<

Granted, I took liberties in a generalization of a concept.

I am trying to stress that photographer's as artist have every right to take
liberties and there is nothing wrong with this. That is art. But stressing
that a connection between the photographer and the audience is a reality,
and there IS an erosion occurring about the honesty of some types of work
and that quite frankly should be a great disappointment to photographers.

Disclosure is good term. There is no harm in disclosure. But, you omitted or
maybe missed the obvious associations. Disclosure could work where
disclosure applies. What do viewers expect? Do they expect the truth?

Journalism = Yes
Documentary = the audience expects a Yes, a lot of times they get No. But
they will learn unfortunately.
Architecture = depends on usage. Most times, Yes
Editorial = has become a victim of it's own power and for the average
audience, a rapidly growing No.
Wedding = up to the customer. What ever they want.
Magazine Illustrations = Times, Newsweek? Yes. People? No
Fiction Book Covers = No, it's illustration for representation
Websites = depends on the type of site and what your audience expects. Yes
for some and No for others.
Advertising = of course not. They are liars.
Celeb = I could care less. But for those who do, Yes as news, No as
illustration.

We HAVE a connection with our audience, how do you propose we keep their
faith?  Or, am I just wrong, no one cares about their faith? It's not now,
nor ever was, about that?

I do not propose we divulge our secrets of how we got a shot. It's not about
that. But, one knows when one is hedging the truth about their work. It's
not a mystery and maybe some sacrifice is necessary to maintain some level
of integrity.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g