Re: xmas light (wonder where the yellow went...)

> Sometimes conversations are hard to sustain on this list because
> people come in in the middle.
>
> Let me repeat - the original question was how to correct the yellow
> tone of little white Xmas tree lights for slide film.
>
> One way is to filter and the question evolved into how to determine
> which filter.

> Film output is the long way around.  I'm interested in doing it in
the camera.

Emily

Whether film or digital - in camera is the best way to do it.

For what my input on this is worth ...

First
Were it me I would not be trying to totally "correct" the colour
temperature to noon daylight:  IMO you want some warmth to the light

Second
Christmas tree lights, although low voltage tungsten filament, mess
you up by being coated with various coloured glasses.

Without the luxury of a trial shoot (and to avoid the need to bracket
filtration too much) I would choose something based on some inspired
guesswork.

I would choose Fujichrome 64T.  This is a type B transparency film
(3400 K).
Using this indoors without filtration (domestic 100 watt lamps) still
gives a yellow cast - not surprising as they are rated on average at
2800K.
I'm pretty sure fairy lights will be even lower (2500-2600K???)

If I was making the choice I would go with an 82C (2950K to 3400K)
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h2/balancing.shtml

and accept that the result will still have a slight warm tome to it.

Third
All this goes out of the window if the background room lighting is
fluorescent of if you have your flash on.

I don't know your favoured filmstock, but I find the Fuji 64T fine

Bob