Re: PF gallery of 2002-12-14

> > Rich Mason -
> > Yea right Rich: if I had a lot of time I'd try to get in to this.
> > A crystal clear slice of life: good texture on the car. Plenty of
> > interest despite being a mundane scene.
> > I like it but it could bellyflop in a competition ...

> Thanks, Bob.   I was hoping someone would get into it--perhaps
you'll find
> some more time?

I should not like it at all:  it has a modern looking car slap bang
centre.
The street sign is not enough to lift it.
The hotel (?) behind is not that great.
The two lads just look incidental, almost distracting.

But it looks real, has fantastic light, the texture of the car is as
if you had sprayed it with hair spray first (matt), the saturation of
the foliage ...

Nah, it just looks like  real life but with an overt quality not
normally associated with street shots.

> I don't concern myself with competitions--I find them to be
> rather arbitrary and that they tend to slant toward safe, pretty
pictures.

Well, the "competition" was not meant literally but in the sense that
it's not an image that people will immediately recognise as being
inteded to be pictorial.  It includes two things most photographers go
out of thier way to avoid:  cars and street signs  (yes, I know,
exeptions abound).

> Especially those which are judged by a panel, rather than an
individual.
That is especially true.  A panel means "lowest common denominator".
I think because people tend to penalise pictures they hate more than
reward those they love.  A chocolate box picture, one that everyone
thinks is fine but no one thinks is excellent will always win a panel
vote.

Dunno really ... just like your shot but still can't get in to
precisely why ...

Bob