Re: Inkjet prints (basic question)

Rob Miracle <rwm@photo-miracles.com> writes:

> At 01:05 PM 12/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >The trouble you are having seems pretty weird. Is it extra humid all the
> >time there?

[Interject: No. The winter is totally dry; and the season doesn't appear
to be a factor]

Rob:
> Ink Jet prints are very unstable.   Under the "right" circumstances they
> can last a very long time.   Under the "wrong" circumstances they will have
> issues in a matter of days.    The chemists at Epson, HP and Canon have
> worked very hard to eliminate issues with fading.
>
> I remember when the Epson 1270 came out and was claiming 10-15 years on
> glossy and 25+ years on matte that prints were fading in days.   Ozone was
> the culprit.  My wife had a photo of my kids hanging unprotected above her
> laser printer (magnet to her filing cabinet.   The Cyan ink was blasted off
> the page turning the print orange except for what was protected under the
> magnet.

Hmm. Well, I've had plain paper prints in my office and on the kitchen
fridge door - no fading. Glossy photo paper prints anywhere exposed to
light: fade in 10 days or so.

Can you suggest any reason why the plain paper should be so much better?
You see I keep wondering if I've just missed something, like not adding
the fixer or something.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: