Re: Inkjet prints (basic question)

At 01:05 PM 12/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
The trouble you are having seems pretty weird. Is it extra humid all the
time there?
Sorry, I'm coming into this late and I don't have the original post/question.

Ink Jet prints are very unstable. Under the "right" circumstances they can last a very long time. Under the "wrong" circumstances they will have issues in a matter of days. The chemists at Epson, HP and Canon have worked very hard to eliminate issues with fading.

I remember when the Epson 1270 came out and was claiming 10-15 years on glossy and 25+ years on matte that prints were fading in days. Ozone was the culprit. My wife had a photo of my kids hanging unprotected above her laser printer (magnet to her filing cabinet. The Cyan ink was blasted off the page turning the print orange except for what was protected under the magnet.

Epson has tried to address many of those issues, but in the end, if the print isn't behind UV glass or in an archival album in the dark, longevity is not guaranteed.

I personally won't sell an inkjet print unless I personally frame it. I use dyesub printers that self-laminate the prints. They seem to be holding up quite well.

Rob
--
Rob Miracle
Photographic Miracles