Re: Inkjet prints (basic question)

At 03:16 PM 12/13/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>Rob Miracle <rwm@photo-miracles.com> writes:
>[only slightly out of context]
>>   I could never consciously sell a ink jet print.   When
>> you hear about inkjets lasting a long time, thats only if they are framed
>> behind UV glass or in an album in a dark place and away from airborne
>> contaminants.
>
>I have put vanishingly litte effort into working out how to make prints.
>I have an HP deskjet 930c printer, and simply printing on plain (A4) paper
>makes a quite reasonable print for me to look at, and I had one of them
>pinned to the wall by my desk for months without anything obvious
>changing. So I thought, I'll buy some of this fancy 'photo' paper;
>it looks much nicer, but leave a print exposed to daylight (not direct
>sunlight), and within 10 days it's fading, in a month it's more or less
>gone. Is there something incredibly elementary that I have missed?
>

>Brian Chandler
>----------------
>geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
>Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
>http://imaginatorium.org/shop/

Brian,

Why have some of the color snaps in my old family album turned a pale
cyan/yellow while others look fine?  Rhetorical question, don't answer :-)

The reason I don't trust ANY claims for permanence is that the paper and
inks are continuously being revised. Paper coatings seem to have a big
effect on the inks. I made sunlight exposure tests on the limited range of
materials I regularly use and determined which ones seem stable. So have
other printers I trust. As soon as the paper or ink manufacturer tweaks
their formula, which they do all the time, all bets are off. A friend of
mine recently had the "latest and greatest" ink and paper combo turn a
hideous lime-color when he dry mounted it. Neither of us had experienced
that before.

I trust that certain combinations will last and have no ethical qualms about
sales - I label all prints "carbon pigment ink jet print on archival paper."
That is more than my painter and art-print friends do on their stuff!

BTW - HP black inks fade like crazy even in dark storage.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
http://www.panoramacamera.us