Re: d100 weddings

At 08:45 PM 12/12/2002 -0600, Colette wrote:
EEKS!  Sorry, I have to jump in here, Rand.  Your advice to Jody re: JPEG is
on the mark in order to save space on her cards....HOWEVER, never, and I
mean NEVER shoot a wedding or anything professional as a JPEG.  Everytime
you open a JPEG document you compromise the image, thus lose more and more
each time you open it, manipulate it, close it, print it, etc.
Colette, a couple of things.... First JPEGs only "lose" information when they are saved. It takes many resaves to get things really noticeable, in particular when you are looking at the minimal compression from JPEG fines and Photoshop saving at a level 10 or higher.

Second of all, I shoot a lot of JPEGs professionally. Thats what the newspapers expect. Even people transmitting images to Sports Illustrated are expected to send in JPEGs. Thats what Reuters takes. Thats what the AP takes. Many digital stock houses want JPEGs. Yes, its lossy on the save, but storage is more important than a little bit of compression loss in many professional cases.

We shot it as JPEG, downloaded it to the laptop,
digitized it, closed it, opened it up, admired it, closed it, tweaked it a
little more, admired it more, decided to burn it to a cd, and print it.
I would be very interested to know what "Tweeking" was done. From what it sounds like, you may have over sharpened the image (something best left to just before printing) or you resampled the image in Photoshop to a smaller image then tried to blow it back up. That will result in disaster.

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Miracle