Nikon Lens Question

This is my first posting to this list. I would like to start by acknowledging that I have learned a lot from the discussions and particularly from the Gallery comments. I have taken over my wife's photographic equipment. She moved on to other interests long ago. The equipment is a FM-2 with a 55-f/2.8, a 80-200 f/4 to which I have added a 105 f/2.8 and a 35 f/2.8. I now realize that I did not have a clue of what I was buying at the local repair shop. I realized that I did not understand lenses when I started to look at buying a more modern camera with some automatic features. Where can I look to find, 1) what the lenses I have are and 2) what modern cameras they might be compatible with? It seems the more I research the more confused I get.
Are there books I could read or a web site that i could access to help me? Thanks for your help and I look forward to the day that I am brave enough to post one of my picture to the gallery.
Jim